(Picture by Rodion Kutsaev, via Unsplash)
I like CLIs. I really like CLIs. Especially when 90% of my previous and quite long blog post can be summarized with only 3 commands 🙂
It was about creating restricted read only access for users, using a role and a named credential. But EM CLI can greatly simplify this task. To better understand what follows, please read the previous post explaining how to Create READ ONLY + AWR access on database targets in Oracle Enterprise Manager 22.214.171.124 first.
Continue reading “Create READ ONLY + AWR access on database targets in Oracle Enterprise Manager 126.96.36.199 – EM CLI edition”
A critical application is recently having a creepy behaviour in production, so its developers are willing to understand what is going on in the database and troubleshoot in an effective way. Let’s give them access to all the databases related to this application throught Oracle Enterprise Manager 188.8.131.52.
The following procedure is mainly relevant with this version, as Oracle Enterprise Manager 13c has a new set of privileges that should be more appropriate.
Continue reading “Create READ ONLY + AWR access on database targets in Oracle Enterprise Manager 184.108.40.206”
By chance, right after my “ODC Appreciation Day” post, I’ve been asked to convert a database from character set WE8ISO8859P1 to AL32UTF8 with DMU. Apart from a few well-known issues described in MOS note 2018250.1, I got a “Need conversion” row on table
WRI$_SQLSET_DEFINITIONS in data dictionary.
Section D.11 of MOS note 2018250.1 states that you can remove “Invalid Binary Representation” in AWR tables (WRI$_%, WRH$_%, WRR$_%) by following MOS note 782974.1 to drop and recreate AWR. I tried this solution as a last resort. Unfortunately, after using
catnoawr.sql, most of
WRI$_% tables are still there, only 3 of them are dropped. And of course,
WRI$_SQLSET_DEFINITIONS remains intact.
What is this table ? What does it contain ?
Continue reading “DMU reports “Need conversion” on table WRI$_SQLSET_DEFINITIONS in Data dictionary”
(Picture from Oracle.com)
It was very difficult for me to choose a topic for #ThanksODC this year 🙂 I finally decided to talk about something very useful, but maybe not so widespread.
For once, I am going to praise a GUI 🙂 : The Oracle Database Migration Assistant for Unicode (DMU). Migrating a database’s character set is not trivial. This is why DMU comes in handy.
Continue reading “ODC Appreciation Day : DMU – Oracle Database Migration Assistant for Unicode”
(Picture by Hermes Rivera, via Unsplash)
This blog post describes a very specific problem I encountered while using datapatch.
I recently patched 400+ 220.127.116.11 databases on RHEL 7.5 with Database Proactive Bundle Patch + OJVM PSU 18.104.22.168.180717 as described in this previous blog post.
Everything went very well on all databases, except one, maybe one of the most critical databases because it is a repository centralizing information about all databases in our ecosystem.
Datapatch would not work properly and would output the following error :
SQL Patching tool version 22.214.171.124.0 Production on Mon Oct 8 15:25:07 2018
Copyright (c) 2012, 2017, Oracle. All rights reserved.
Connecting to database...OK
Bootstrapping registry and package to current versions...done
Error in bootstrap log /ccv/app/oracle/cfgtoollogs/sqlpatch/sqlpatch_27945_2018_10_08_15_25_07/bootstrap1_SOMEDB.log:
Error at line 31: ORA-01427: single-row subquery returns more than one row
Prereq check failed, exiting without installing any patches.
Please refer to MOS Note 1609718.1 and/or the invocation log
for information on how to resolve the above errors.
SQL Patching tool complete on Mon Oct 8 15:25:09 2018
Continue reading “Problem with datapatch, sqlpatch_bootstrap.sql and obj$”
(Picture by The Creative Exchange, via Unsplash)
Yesterday, I upgraded my lab Grid Infrastructure version 12.1 to version 18c on Oracle Linux Server release 7. Everything went (approximately) OK, but this is not the subject of interest today. Afterwards, I wanted to get rid of the old 12.1 Grid Infrastructure home with the deinstall utility.
Continue reading “Deinstalling previous Grid Infrastructure Home after an upgrade to 18c”
(Picture by Jannes Glas, via Unsplash)
I have to admit that I always volunteer at work when a patching has to be done. I like patching. Not the patching process itself, but the learning process. Sometimes it even helps me get better at troubleshooting.
Today I just want to gather in one post a few things that came up after applying
Database Proactive Bundle Patch + OJVM PSU 126.96.36.199.180717, hoping this can help someone somewhere 🙂 I will update this post later if I encouter new issues.
Continue reading “Issues encountered after applying Database Proactive Bundle Patch + OJVM PSU 188.8.131.52.180717”