On one of my Exadata Cloud at Customer system, I recently had an issue which required to check exactly which files were updated when upgrading the cloud-specific tooling included on Exadata Cloud at Customer, also know as dbaastools_exa. I needed to know if a configuration file had been overwritten or not, when upgrading dbaastools_exa. My knowledge in RPM packages being very limited, I did some research and here is what I found :
Exadata Cloud at Customer offers a very convenient method to manage your Oracle Database Exadata Cloud Services : REST APIs \o/
I am currently working on a PL/SQL package to interact with Exadata instances, from a central administrative database. Let’s see, step by step, what are the prerequisite to achieve this goal. (Note : I am currently learning PL/SQL, and I use Trivadis PL/SQL Cop, especially the very useful plugin for SQL Developer.)
Following up with this blog post, here is a quick overview of what is performed on Exadata Cloud at Customer nodes when a Grid Infrastructure patching is launched via the web interface, the Oracle Cloud control plane.
The whole patch process is not that different from the precheck process. Most of the steps are similar, and of course, the main difference is that the Opatch command actually … patches the Grid Infrastructure 😉
Let’s launch the patching process with a simple click on the Oracle Cloud control plane (sorry for the Fren-Glish screenshots …) :
I am now exploring the brand new Grid Infrastructure patching method for Exadata Cloud at Customer. With Exadata Cloud at Customer version 184.108.40.206, it is now possible to patch Grid Infrastructure with a few clicks in the GUI. Let’s see exactly which steps are performed.
First, with my preferred method (CLI 🙂 ), I run opatch against Grid Infrastructure home to check the current patch level :
Everything went very well on all databases, except one, maybe one of the most critical databases because it is a repository centralizing information about all databases in our ecosystem.
Datapatch would not work properly and would output the following error :
SQL Patching tool version 220.127.116.11.0 Production on Mon Oct 8 15:25:07 2018
Copyright (c) 2012, 2017, Oracle. All rights reserved.
Connecting to database...OK
Bootstrapping registry and package to current versions...done
Error in bootstrap log /ccv/app/oracle/cfgtoollogs/sqlpatch/sqlpatch_27945_2018_10_08_15_25_07/bootstrap1_SOMEDB.log:
Error at line 31: ORA-01427: single-row subquery returns more than one row
Prereq check failed, exiting without installing any patches.
Please refer to MOS Note 1609718.1 and/or the invocation log
for information on how to resolve the above errors.
SQL Patching tool complete on Mon Oct 8 15:25:09 2018
I have to admit that I always volunteer at work when a patching has to be done. I like patching. Not the patching process itself, but the learning process. Sometimes it even helps me get better at troubleshooting.
Today I just want to gather in one post a few things that came up after applying Database Proactive Bundle Patch + OJVM PSU 18.104.22.168.180717, hoping this can help someone somewhere 🙂 I will update this post later if I encouter new issues.